Purple Food Is All the Rage in Chicago #FACTS MAR. 23, 2018. 1. Papas fritas at #BarTakito
Fried purple #potatoes peek out from under a blanket of #Manchego cheese sauce and red garlic mojo. (Want more purple tubers? They’re in the steak tacos here, too.) $9. 201 N. Morgan St.
2. Cassis macaron at #VanillePatisserie
Chewy, light-as-air shells hide a jammy filling of cassis purée and almond paste. $2. Multiple locations, see vanillepatisserie.com
3. Sailor Moon cocktail at #ColdStorage “It’s a daiquiri, basically,” says bartender #MarissaBarlow but there’s nothing basic about this blend of #jasminetea and dazzlingly hued butterfly pea flower tea brewed sous vide with Flor de Caña #rum and lime juice. $12. 1000 W. Fulton Market
4. Purple velvet cake at #JenniveesBakery
Constructed from chiffon cake coconut filling, and a mousse made from the purple yam known to Filipinos as ube, this towering confection is no stranger to Instagram. $6.50 a slice. 3301 N. Sheffield Ave.
5. Mango and passion fruit bonbon at #VerucaChocolates
Chocolatier #HeatherJohnston makes a tropical fruit jam to create the distinctively flavored center of this elegant treat with a hand-painted chocolate shell. $2. 1332 N. Halsted St.
6. Black rice bun at #JoongBooMarket
Hit up this Korean grocery’s outdoor stand for one of its huge red-bean-paste-filled buns, made from a black rice flour dough that turns purplish when baked. $2.50. 3333 N. Kimball Ave.
7. Wood-grilled carrots at Heritage Restaurant & Caviar Bar
Purple carrots, roasted and tossed with a housemade “everything” spice blend, take center stage in this veg-centric play on a Reuben. Thousand Island dressing, deep-fried Swiss cheese cubes, and rye bread complete the dish. $14. 2700 W. Chicago Ave. #NINFONETWORK#FOODNINFO#BUZZFEED#HUFFPOSTGRAM#EATER#TRUECOOKS#NYC#LAEATS#LEFOODING#FOODNETWORK#FOODANDWINE#SAFOODIE#UGLYDELICIOUS#NETFLIX#HULU#MACARONS#chicago